Every woman, and pregnant and non-pregnant, is present in the intestines of some gases.You may be surprised to learn that the average person produces per day from 1 to 4 liters and the gas that comes out of the body from 14 to 23 times a day (the majority - in the form of belching, and the rest - in the form flatulentsii, or simply -fart).Once you become pregnant, you may notice that the belching and flatulence began to bother you more and more.You may even be necessary to unbutton his pants, or wear very loose clothing to make it easier bloating during pregnancy .
Why during pregnancy in the body to produce more gas?The main reason is that the increase in progesterone - a hormone of pregnancy - causes weakness of smooth muscles of the intestine.Such "relaxation" slows down digestion, which leads to increased gas production, which result in bloating, flatulence and belching, especially after a heavy meal.
In the third trimester, progesterone is also added pressure on the intestines by the uteru
For the same reasons you during pregnancy may experience heartburn or suffer from constipation, even if the trouble has never bothered you before.
At the end of the article we will tell you about some of the danger signs that can join flatulence, and require immediate doctor's advice.
Where does the gas in the gastrointestinal tract?
Gas enters the digestive tract of two ways: when you swallow air and when the bacteria in the large intestine undigested food processed.Most of the gases in the stomach are the result of ingesting air and is usually released from the body by regurgitation, although a small number of them may reach the colon, and out of the body due to bloating.
main part of the gas that causes flatulence, appears as a result of bacterial activity in the colon that completes processing of the food, which was not fully digested by enzymes in the stomach and small intestine.The main culprits are carbohydrates.Proteins and fats produce little gas, although fats can promote gassing and bloating during pregnancy , because they slow down digestion.
Some people have increased flatulence is a result of eating certain foods, even those that other people do not cause any problems.For example, people with lactose intolerance suffer from bloating after consuming dairy products.This is due to the fact that their body produces enough lactase - an enzyme that breaks down lactose (sugar in dairy products).
Individual changes in the balance of bacteria in the colon can also affect the amount of gas produced by you.
Changing power to relieve flatulence
most effective way to reduce flatulence can eliminate from your diet foods that cause flatulence.Beans, whole grains and some vegetables (cabbage, cauliflower, Brussels sprouts, broccoli, asparagus) - the most common culprits of bloating.
Some people have increased flatulence when eating foods with a high concentration of fructose.The largest number of natural fructose is present in the leeks, onions and green onions, artichokes, dried fruits, pears, apples, honey and wheat.
Many carbonated and fruit drinks sweetened with corn syrup, high fructose.Therefore, you should not have these drinks, because they not only lead to flatulence, but also contain a lot of calories that you do not need!
Some products (wheat, corn, potatoes) contain a lot of starch, which can also lead to increased gas and bloating pregnancy .And some fiber-rich foods (oat bran, beans, peas and many kinds of fruits) cause bloating because they are usually broken down in the colon.
People who are lactose intolerant, get extra gas in the use of milk and its products.In addition, if you suffer from lactose intolerance before, please note that during pregnancy, it may cause diarrhea and occurrence of abdominal pain.
Finally, try to stay away from fatty and fried foods.
How else can relieve bloating during pregnancy?
There are some guidelines that can reduce the frequency and severity of symptoms of bloating:
- Do not overeat.Instead, eat several times during the day and slowly.
- Take the time to swallow food thoroughly chew each bite.Do not talk at the table.
- Drink only from a cup or glass, but not from a bottle or through a straw!In addition, the need to drink in small sips rather than gulp.
- Avoid carbonated beverages, all sweetened with artificial sweeteners, such as sorbitol.
- Do not eat or drink on the go, sit down and enjoy a quiet meal.
- Wear loose, comfortable clothing and avoid clothes that contracts the abdomen and waist.
- Try to give up chewing gum and candy.
- move!Even a brisk walk can help your sluggish digestion!
- Take care of prevention of constipation, as it can add to the sensation of flatulence and bloating.
- Do not smoke!Smoke, but harm to the health of mother and fetus, and even increases the acidity of the stomach.
If these measures do not help, consult a physician-gynecologist - you may need a remedy for flatulence based simethicone (eg "Espumizan").But it is not easy on activated carbon as in large doses, it is safe during pregnancy.
If you feel that:
- bloating during pregnancy was heavier than it was;
- flatulence added to the pain or cramps;
- defecation you notice blood in the stool;
- you have a prolonged (more than 2 days), constipation or severe diarrhea (more than a day);
- severe nausea or persistent vomiting
immediately call your doctor or go to the hospital!