Today, the use of pharmacological analgesia during labor become widespread in almost all maternity hospitals.General anesthesia is used only in emergencies, as it is essential the active participation of women in the birth act.Methods of anesthesia, which are generally accepted, aimed solely at reducing pain sensitivity!
there are non-drug (natural) and medical methods of removal (relief) labor pain.Natural ways to be safe and highly effective enough.These include massage, hydrotherapy, relaxation, warm and cold compresses, acupuncture, homeopathy, aromatherapy and others.
However, if the use of non-drug methods of pain relief has not brought the desired results, resorted to using anesthetics.
Epidurals Epidural anesthesia is the most common method of anesthesia.Its essence is that a catheter is introduced into the space of the analgesic agent to the brain hard shell (epidural space) that surrounds the spinal cord.Thanks to this blocked the pain of the body below the waist.For the catheter w
There is also another type of anesthesia, which is similar to an epidural, but it runs a thin needle - spinal anesthesia.The dose of the anesthetic that is injected maternity, considerably less than with epidural anesthesia.
If you expect during childbirth to resort to using an epidural, you will need at the end of pregnancy, a consultation with the anesthesiologist to identify contraindications (or confirm their absence) to its use.You also need to conduct laboratory analysis of blood clotting and the passage of the ECG.
Epidural anesthesia is popular because of its convenience and efficiency - and it reduces the sensitivity of the lower body, and at the same time does not inhibit consciousness!Thus, a woman does not feel pain, but feels the touch, feel and movement the baby can move on their own, thereby remaining active during labor and attempts.
also makes use of epidural anesthesia for childbirth child less traumatic.The boat has not recovered from the epidural space mothers until the completion of delivery.This makes it possible to introduce additional doses of anesthetic as weakening his actions.
usually epidural anesthesia is used when the cervix is opened 4-5 cm, and the fight became quite painful.
The main advantages of epidural anesthesia include:
- limit sensations of pain, due to which a woman does not feel pain and is relaxed and calm;
- liberation of mothers from a psychological block and tension caused by the pain, which contributes to a more favorable course of labor and more rapid disclosure of the cervix;
- helps women suffering from hypertension, lower blood pressure;
- gives the mother the possibility of active participation in childbirth, while not denying awareness of what is happening to her and the world;
- drug used for anesthesia, does not penetrate through the placenta to the baby, that is, it does not have absolutely no impact;
- helps to relieve pain after childbirth, if the catheter through which the anesthetic is applied, is not removed immediately after birth.
main disadvantages of this method of pain relief are:
- can cause decreased activity of labor, temporary "attenuation" of fights and attempts;
- a sharp and significant decrease in blood pressure, which can lead to hypoxia (oxygen starvation) of the fetus due to insufficient blood flow through the placenta.To the pressure jump has not occurred, together with the specific dosage administered anesthetic drugs;
- of allergic reactions in women;
- appearance of pain in the lumbar region, which may persist for several weeks after birth (as a woman can be confusing for severe headaches);
- complete relaxation of the walls of the birth canal (atonic) may necessitate the use of vacuum or forceps during delivery.
can not rule out the theoretical possibility of damage to the meninges, spinal or nerve trunks due to improper catheter insertion.However, the likelihood that events will develop "bad" scenario is minimal, as the level of qualification of anesthesiologist working in the nursing home, must be very high!According to medical statistics, serious complications, including neurological, from the use of epidural anesthesia occur very rarely.
intramuscular or intravenous injection of narcotic analgesics (eg, dolargana or promedola) allows ease pain.Despite the fact that the substance is a narcotic promedol, its effect sufficiently soft and it has no negative influence on the child.Introduction of the preparation is carried out on one of the two stages of the delivery process, either at the end stage of the disclosure, either in the beginning stages of expulsion of the fetus.This condition necessarily, because you can only promedola single administration, and the duration of its action - only about two hours.
The disadvantages of this method can be called by them caused drowsiness and lethargy, loss of a woman's ability to adequate perception of what is happening and active cooperation with the doctor and the midwife during childbirth.Also, these drugs cross the placental barrier, thus affecting the circulatory system of the baby that is able to provoke respiratory disorders, as well as cause problems with sucking in the newborn.
infiltration local anesthesia
Local anesthesia - is the introduction of pain medication (for example, lignocaine) in the place where the surgery is expected.The most common way anesthetized perineal area before suturing in areas tears or cuts.Thus, this method has been used for pain relief after childbirth.Its action is aimed at reducing pain and tactile sensitivity of the perineum and internal genital organs.Application of this method during labor and attempts are absolutely useless!
General anesthesia - the introduction of an anesthetic drug intravenously or by inhalation.The effect of this method is aimed at lulling the patient.It is used general anesthesia in emergency situations, when the need for extensive surgery, such as cesarean section, placental extract, or cleaning of the uterus after childbirth.
In conclusion, we note that, despite the widespread anesthesia during childbirth , many modern women refuse them in favor of a natural birth.The main thing that the woman herself made the choice, which must be as free and informed!