During the three-hour glucose tolerance test ( 3 hour test glucose ) has been used 100 grams of glucose powder, which (as well as during any test glucose tolerance) pre-dissolved in 300ml of boiled water.
This method is used much less frequently than the hour and two-hour tests for glucose, and cases for use as follows:
- if a pregnant woman during the time of the test for glucose (50 grams of glucose powder) results were revealed abnormalitiesglycemia, she to confirm the diagnosis may appoint 3 hour test for glucose ;
- if a woman has already had a history of gestational diabetes (during previous pregnancy);
- if a woman is obese;
- if the woman's age exceeds 35 years abroad (it is a late pregnancy);
- if a woman according to the US were diagnosed polyhydramnios (too much amniotic fluid) or fetal macrosomia (excessive size or weight in excess of the current term of pregnancy);
- if a woman takes corticosteroids (medicines that cause an increase in glucose levels - hyperglycemia).
presence of a pregnant woman one of the above indications does not mean that it will be assigned to it 3 hour test for glucose .Typically, the decision to accept the need for gynecologist (or endocrinologist), but more often in medical practice is appointed one- and two-hour tests for glucose tolerance.
If the woman appointed a three-hour tolerance test load of sugar by the body, and has revealed the results of deviations from the normal values for two (or more) figures, it is almost 100% indicates the presence of a woman has diabetes.If her blood counts, donated fasting, they are within the normal range, it is diabetes class A1, and if these figures are increased - this diabetes class A2.If a slight excess of the indices, then the woman is prescribed carbohydrate-free diet, the effectiveness of which is evaluated during one - two weeks.If the blood glucose (blood donation at the first, on an empty stomach) exceeded 6.7 mmol / l (120 mg%), the appointment of women need insulin.
If a woman after a three-hour glucose tolerance test revealed abnormal in only one of the indicators, it alleges a violation of tolerance (tolerance) of the body to glucose.Such a violation may lead to fetal macrosomia, which is fraught with the development of various complications in its prenatal development and birth.
If the figures obtained by 3 hour test glucose , are within acceptable limits, then the woman will be the repeat passage of glucose tolerance test on the 24th - 28th, and then on the 32th - 34th weekpregnancy (with risk factors, which we described in an article on the test for glucose tolerance (TSH) in pregnancy).